This has oranges and polenta in it and is therefore basically health food.
For the cake:
200g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
200g demerera sugar
3 large eggs
200g ground almonds
75g course polenta
25g plain gluten free flour
zest of 2 oranges
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
For the syrup:
125g golden caster sugar
250 ml orange juice
1 cinnammon stick
- Preheat your oven to gas mark 180ºC/350ºF/Gas mark 4 and prepare a loaf-style baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl. I use an electric whisk.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Add the vanilla, almonds, polenta, zest and baking powder and mix well.
- Pour the cake mix into the tin, and bake for 40 – 50 minutes until golden brown on top.
- While the cake is cooling, make the syrup.
- In a saucepan add the sugar, orange juice and cinnamon and simmer on a medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and pour the syrup over the cake.
- Allow to cool then slice.