Shock your pals when they discover this cake is gluten free! (Actual shock)
For the cake:
175g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
175g caster sugar
175g gluten free flour
3 large eggs
50 ml milk
2 tsp gluten free baking powder
For the middle and top:
Half a jar of jam (any flavour)
150ml whipping cream
Fruit to decorate
- Preheat your oven to gas mark 190ºC/375ºF/Gas mark 5 and prepare two 20cm/8in round cake tins with greaseproof paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl. I use an electric whisk.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Mix in the flour, baking powder then slowly add the milk.
- Pour the cake mix evenly into the two tins, and bake for 20 minutes until light brown on top and a toothpick into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Flip the cakes out of the tins and allow to cool.
- In a bowl whisk the cream until it reaches a consistency for spreading on top of your cake, around 3 – 5 minutes.
- Make sure the cakes can sit nicely on top of each and if you need to, skim off any raised or bumpy sections with a knife.
- Once they’re completely cool, fill with jam and top with cream and fruit.