They’d call this one a ‘winter warmer’. I think it’s equally good in any season. This makes 8 big bowls.
400g or 2 large peeled onions
2kg or 2 very large peeled and deseeded butternuts
200g or 2/3 large peeled carrots
3 cloves of garlic
2 teaspoons medium curry powder
1 ltr water
1 ltr gluten free vegetable stock like Kallo or Bouillon
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Slice your onions and crush the garlic.
- Add the oil to a very large soup pot and add the onions. Sweat them for around 10 minutes.
- In the meantime roughly chop all your other veg, the soup gets blitzed at the end so don’t worry about chopping nicely.
- Add the garlic and curry powder and simmer for another minute. Turn the heat down low while you do this so that the powder doesn’t burn.
- Add the butternut, carrots, water, stock, salt and pepper and turn the heat to medium.
- Cover and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- Season again with salt and pepper if needed.
- Use a blender to blitz the soup until it’s nice and smooth. NOTE – wait until the soup is cool before you do this unless you want soup on your ceiling (was very hard to clean).