Cream cheese icing is the best thing ever. Sadly, it’s very rare you come across a nice gluten free cake when you’re out and about never mind a nice gluten free cake topped with loads of cream cheese icing. Nevermind, when the craving hits all you need is this recipe!
For the cake:
250g unsalted butter (room temperature)
200g caster sugar
4 large eggs
100g ground almonds
100g ground pistachio nuts (shelled, unsalted)
70g plain gluten free flour
1 tsp gluten free baking powder
For the icing:
50g unsalted butter (room temperature)
300g icing sugar
125g cream cheese (cold)
50g broken unsalted pistachio nuts
- Preheat your oven to gas mark 180ºC/350ºF/Gas mark 4 and prepare a loaf-style baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl. I use an electric whisk throughout.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- If you are using whole pistachios grind (in a food processor for about 90 seconds or with a pestle and mortar) until coarsely ground.
- Add the ground pistachios, ground almonds, baking powder and flour into the egg mixture and mix well.
- Pour the cake mix into the tin, and bake for 40 – 50 minutes until golden brown on top and a toothpick into the centre comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooling, make the icing.
- In a bowl combine the butter, cheese and sugar and beat well until smooth.
- Roughly chop your pistachios.
- Once the cake is cool ice and crumble the pistachios over the top.